From Inside the Boxx.. Gophers vs Georgia Southern
[et_pb_section fb_built=”1″ _builder_version=”3.29.1″][et_pb_row _builder_version=”3.29.1″][et_pb_column _builder_version=”3.29.1″ type=”4_4″][et_pb_code _builder_version=”3.29.1″ hover_enabled=”0″]
View this post on Instagram
#msfdaily: last non-conference game before a week off and then the B1G season starts! (WE ARE IN THE GOPHER PRESS BOX ALL SEASON – FOLLOW OUR COVERAGE ON TWITTER ALL DAY) #gophers #gopherfootball #gophersfootball #minnesotafootball #minnesotagophers #pjfleck #fleck #uofm #gogophers #rtb #skiumah #elite #eagles #georgiasouthern #georgiasoutherneagles
Welcome to “From Inside the Boxx” where I will give you all of the last minute information you need for the Gopher home games from up in the press box. It’s a beautiful day today in Minneapolis… one of those days that makes you regret all of those years we watched fall football inside… Kickoff is going to be a balmy 72 degrees and we’ll see sun through the game’s entirety.
Speaking of the game, itself… I hope you are ready to watch 1970’s football.
Georgia Southern runs an all-triple-option offensive attack. They RARELY throw the football. All their media guide talks about is their lack of interceptions last season (they didn’t throw any) and their domination of the turnover battle. However, they did fumble 7 times last week in their win vs Maine.
Shai Werts doesn’t look like he will be able to get over the injury that kept him out of last week’s game so it will be RS FR Justin Tomlin. He was 4/9 last week for 63 yards passing. He did run for 132 yards and a TD in 11 carries, though. They also had 2 running backs that went for 100 yards apiece.
That is the Georgia Southern offense. Stop the run and you win. Get ahead early (like the Gophers should) and you win. If you can force a turnover or two (GA Southern only had 5 turnovers all of 2018) then this could get out of hand…
Other notable tid-bits to make you smarter than those around you:
1. This is the first time Georgia Southern has ever played against MN.
2. This is a big game for recruiting. The Gophers have a honey hole in Georgia and currently have 12 players on roster that hail from the state. Some notables include, Rodney Smith, Shannon Brooks, Rashod Bateman, Terrell Smith, and Chris Williamson.
3. The Gophers have won 10-straight vs the Sun Belt and 17 straight non-conference games, in general.
4. Safety, Jordan Howden has been a MONSTER, leading the team in tackles (17) and pass breakups (4).
5. Rashod Bateman has 941 yards in his career (he’s a Sophomore) and will become the 2nd-fastest player to get to 1000 yards, if he gets 59 more today.
6. Georgia Southern’s kicker is really good and can hit from 50 with consistency.
7. Gerogia Southern really likes their defensive backs. They are both preseason Sun Belt All-Americans. We’ll really see how good they are today vs Johnson and Bateman.
Get ready for a lot of running because I expect the Gophers to establish the offensive line of scrimmage early… and running is all that Georgia Southern does. As long as the Gophers don’t turn the ball over, this should be a landslide.
PREDICTION: GOPHERS: 42 | Eagles: 13
Eric Strack | Minnesota Sports Fan
Follow along with me all game on Twitter: @RealMNSportsFan[/et_pb_text][/et_pb_column][/et_pb_row][/et_pb_section]